Friday, May 24, 2013

Magic Beans

I had several bags of herbs seed which was hiding in our cold room for two years.  I wanted to plant some herbs like basil, mint, parsley, etc. Finally I made a move, went to Home Depot and bout a nice size Cedar box, couple of organic soil suitable for vegetable gardening and a layer of weed stopper fabric. 
I thought what are the chances that these seeds grow after waiting to be planted for almost two years. I pour the seeds generously inside the soil thinking that not many of them will show up. But my o my I was wrong. Only a week after planting these precious seeds look at them. I plant different kind and I have no clue what is what. The boxes had no label and now I am waiting to be surprised. Who knows maybe one of them turnout to be a magic bean. 

I remember I had dark green circular seeds which I placed them at the right side of the box and now you can see the results. At this stage I can't tell what are they :D. I have to ask an expert 
There are two other types of herbs coming out of the soil. They are not very visible in this photo you need to look hard. These little seeds putting a soil a side and reaching for a sun.  I love this.  I feel I have little babies to take care of. 



8 comments:

Behdokht said...

"I plant different kind and I have no clue what is what " :))) You're adorable. Love u

Hiva said...

I am "mashang" Behi :):):)
According to one expert this one in a photo is "shambalile"
Xoxo

radius said...

Hi Hiva, when will you reveal the left part of your micro-garden ? I am wondering if you have planted some magic mushrooms next to the magic beans. Or maybe they grow underground at all.
About the "shambalile": To me they look a bit like Radish. If you go to this Wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish
there is the 4th foto from the top showing very young radish sprouts. They resemble somewhat your plants. In any case, I think you should give them much more space now by pricking them (each single sprout should get about 5cm free space around). In case of radish, you would otherwise only harvest some red-whitish roots, but no real tubers.
Good luck, and whish you a green thumb (as the English use to say),
Michael

Hiva said...

Hahahahah " magic mushroom" good one

Well I did a little bit of googling and I think what I have in this photo is Basil. The left part is also growing fast and I can update to prove that there are no magic mushrooms :):)

Hiva said...

Hmmm I looked at your link , it might be radish too. I am quite confused now :D

radius said...

Hi Hiva, I think with young plants it is like with young babies: one can hardly guess at the beginning how they will look when growing older. Our son and most of our friends kids were blond with blue eyes, when they were born. And now, 15 years later, they are as different as the flowers on a wild summer field.
So, your sprouts might in fact also harbour some surprises for you, once they grow bigger. (It does not has to end as dramatic as in the marvellous music comedy "Little Shop of Horrors" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_%28film%29).
keep us updated,
Michael

PS: in case you cant tell for sure what your plants are, please consider to give them a name yourself !!!

radius said...

Hi Hiva, how are your plants doing now, two and half week later ? Could you find out what they are ? Or you already made Gormeh Sabzi from them without waiting much longer ?
greetings, Michael

Hiva said...

I updated few more photos, you were right I have lots and lots of radish :)