Nima and I were looking for a painting for a while. Finally we found it yesterday and it was quite a unique experience for both of us.
We were driving when my eyes caught the site of a small and narrow shop called, "Gelder Fine Art". At first glance I saw several paintings hanged on the shop's walls. We parked the car and walked in.
when we entered, an old man with a bent back was sitting behind the incomplete canvas alone. There were several paint stains all over his pants and coats.
He looked up and smiled.
-It's a nice sunny day isn't it
- Yeah very lovely (I replied, while looking around)
There were so many beautiful paints all over the shops.
-I think these are all his painting Hiva (Nima whispered in my ears)
- These are all my paintings
- Oh there are really beautiful
-Thanks (He answered with his low voice)
I've had this shop for 47 years
- Wow (Nima and I reacted)
- You know next week is my birthday, in March
- Nice, next week is my birthday too
- Really, mine is on March 25th (He seemed amazed)
I am gonna be 92 years old
- I am gonna be 29 (I was thinking God 92, 29 both in March such a coincident)
- 92, 29.. Really? are you going to be 29 years old? (He asked me with excitement)
I am lucky to come so far, I served in military for 8 years during world war II in South Africa, India and Italy.
and then he told us about how he met her wife there and fell in love at first sight.
- I saw her and I told to myself, God I can't live without her. We married in one month
We looked at all of his paintings one by one, while he was briefly explaining where usually he painted them. Most of his paintings were scenery in impressionist style.
- Most of these scenes are somewhere around Mississauga and beautiful Credit river (He said)
- That's interesting I did a lot of photography around credit river before winter (Nima said excitedly)
There was one paint that caught my eyes more than the others, beautiful summer day along the credit river with a girl and her dog walking near the river.
- If you like it take it down , bring it home hang it on the wall for few days and then if you find it what you were looking for come back and pay it.
He offered us a very fair price with huge discount!!
- At this age, all I want is to make sure my paintings are finding a good home. I don't have too many years left and usually after the painters death his paintings' value increases.
Nima and I were speechless. I couldn't think of any thing to tell him in response.
We love the painting , it's just so perfect in our cosy dinning room but more than that this experience make it so special to us. Each time looking at his small signature beneath the picture "Wilfred W. Gelder" remind me of a lovely old man in small cosy shop in streets ville.
We will go back to his shop in few days to pay for the painting and this time I will have my camera with me.